Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness (12A)

What’s it about?
Will Smith and his son Jaden Christopher Syre Smith bring to life the true story of Chris Gardener; a Salesman who overcomes serious odds including homelessness, jail time and a broken marriage, to train as a stockbroker whilst taking care of his 5 year old son.

Highs n lows
This is real inspiration for anyone who’s having a hard time of it, and is
as much a testament of the relationship that Will Smith has with his son, as of his acting abilities. The pair make the film, the other roles including Thandie Newton’s are really just bit parts. The relationship is as enthralling as the story which is the epitomy of the American Dream.

I saw this with two fellas and they both admitted to ‘slight moisture around the eyes’ at the end of this one. Dads out there this is one for you.

Quote to note:
“Don’t ever let somebody tell you you can’t do something … You got a dream, you gotta protect it … If you want something, go get it. Period.”

Is it any good?
4 and a half out of 5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

GQ Smooth in da House. I enjoyed this film also, but a question that came to me. If I had to provide for my family, would I risk everything for a position that could lead us losing our home, and having to sleep in a men's toilet room??? I'd get ANY job that would allow me to support my family. Just a thought!